Last Updated : June 12th, 2018
Information we collect
In connection with your access to our Site and/or use of our Service, we collect and store certain information about you. Some of this information can be used on its own or in combination with other information to identify you individually. We call that information “personal information.” We collect personal information and other information as described below:
- Information You Provide. We collect your personal information when you or your employer registers to use the Service, provides information when using the Site or Service, updates your account information, adds additional services, submits information to verify your identity, contacts us with questions or feedback, or otherwise communicates with us. This personal information may include your name, address, email address, phone number, bank account information and taxpayer identification number.
- Information from Third Parties. We may collect and receive information about you, including personal information and financial account information, from third parties, such as financial institutions and our service providers, for identity verification, fraud protection, risk assessment and other purposes. We may collect your business information from credit bureaus for the foregoing purposes as well.
- Insurance Information. If you or your employer uses the Service to manage your insurance benefits, we may receive health information about you and your dependents. The health information may include information about your insurance carrier, insurance plan and claims you submit for coverage. We receive the health information (i) directly from you when you submit enrollment or claims information, or otherwise provide health information to us; (ii) from the primary policyholder on your benefits plan, if you are a spouse or dependent of the primary policyholder; (iii) from your employer; (iv) from insurance carriers; or (v) from other third-party administrators.
- Automatically Collected Information. We automatically collect certain usage information when you access the Site or use the Service, such as your device identifier, Internet Protocol (IP) address, operating system, browser type and the address of a referring site.
Third-Party Software, Cookies or Other Technologies
How we use your information
We use information that we collect about you for the following purposes:
- to administer the Site, manage accounts and provide the Service;
- to monitor, analyze, improve and develop the Site and Service, and to create new Service features;
- to provide a more customized experience on the Site, Service and/or our partners’ or affiliates’ websites;
- to understand our users better;
- to validate user information provided to us for fraud and risk detection purposes;
- to determine eligibility for the Service;
- to prevent, identify and address fraudulent or other illegal activity and security issues;
- to (i) solicit feedback, (ii) respond to your or your employer’s comments, requests or inquiries, (iii) provide customer service and support, or (iv) otherwise contact you in connection with the Site or Service;
- to generate anonymized, aggregate data containing only de-identified, non-personal information that we may use to publish reports;
- to operate our business, which includes, without limitation, using your information (i) to process payments, (ii) to manage and enforce contracts with you or with third parties, (iii) to manage our corporate governance, compliance and auditing practices, and (iv) for recruitment purposes, if you submit an application for employment with Gusto via the Site;
- to (i) comply with laws, rules and regulations, including any disclosure or reporting obligations, (ii) resolve disputes with users or third parties, (iii) respond to claims and legal process (including but not limited to subpoenas and court orders) as we deem necessary or appropriate, (iv) protect our property rights or those of third parties, (v) protect the safety of the public or any person, and (vi) prevent or stop any activity which we may consider to be (or to pose a risk of being) illegal, unethical or legally actionable; and
- for any other purpose for which you expressly authorize us to use your information.
How we share your information
We will only share your information with third parties listed below for purposes described above in the “How we use your information” section:
- government agencies and taxing authorities, as required to provide the Service, including but not limited to the Internal Revenue Service and state and local tax agencies;
- group health plans, insurance carriers and other third parties, such as doctors, hospitals and pharmacies, as needed to carry out the Benefits Service (which may include but not be limited to facilitating benefits plan enrollments, health care operations and insurance payments);
- banking and financial institutions;
- certain parties as necessary to respond in good faith to legal process (including but not limited to subpoenas and court orders);
- legal and financial advisors and auditors;
- third-party agents, partners and service providers, who (i) are only permitted to use your information as we allow (which may include contacting you on our behalf), and (ii) are required under law or contract to keep your personal information confidential; and
Do we make updates to this policy?
How can you contact us about our policy?
If you have any questions you can email email@example.com